Wednesday, April 27, 2011

book club


I'm reading Blood Meridian at the moment and it is horrible. Horrible horrible horrible. Beautifully written but a horrible story. There is so much violence and hate and sadness, I'm actually really struggling to get through it. It's set in the 1850's and it's essentially a cowboys and indians story, except bloody and awful and terrifying.

In case you're wondering why i even picked this book up in the first place, it's because it's one of the books picked for the month of April on First Tuesday book club which is on ABC1 on the first tuesday of each month. Der. Each month they pick a new release and a classic and Blood Meridian was this month's classic. Generally, I relish the chance to have someone make the decision for me and I get the opportunity to read both classics and contemporary novels i never normally would even pick up - then sometimes you get something like this. A book that makes you lose sleep.

As horrifying as it is, I'm not one of those people that can knowingly not finish reading a book so I'm sticking to it. Only around a third to go - then no more nightmares!! Hopefully next month they pick something more up my alley...

No comments:

Post a Comment